Phase Four: Total Physique Mastery
The final training phase is extremely effective. The goal is to give your body, nervous system and joints a break from the very heavy lifting. For this new phase, we’ll just be doing the first two exercises of the workout heavy and hard reverse pyramid training style. The rest of the workout will be performed with lighter weights and higher volume. This will help produce a lot of sarcoplasmic hypertrophy while giving your joints and nervous system some much needed rest.
Duration: eight weeks
Monday: Upperbody (chest focus)
- Incline DB Press: 3 sets - 6-8, 8-10, 8-10 reps (reverse pyramid training)
- Flat DB Press: 2 sets - 6-8, 8-10, 8-10 reps (reverse pyramid training)
- Sternum Pull-ups: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps (pyramid training)
- Incline DB Curls: 12, 10, 8, 6 (pyramid training)
- Bent-Over Flyes: 1 set x 12-15 reps + 4 sets x 3-5 reps (rest-pause training)
- Bulgarian Split Squats: 5 sets x 10-12 reps (build up to max)
- Romanian Deadlifts: 4 sets x 12-15 reps (build up to max)
- Leg Extensions: 12, 10, 8, 6 (pyramid training)
- Leg Curls: 12, 10, 8, 6 (pyramid training)
- Farmers Shrugs: 20-30 reps + 8-10, 8-10, 8-10 (rest pause)
Friday: Upperbody (shoulder focus)
- DB Shoulder Press: 3 sets - 6-8, 8-10, 8-10 reps (reverse pyramid training)
- Weighted Neutral Chin ups: 3 sets - 8, 10, 10 reps (reverse pyramid training)
- Cable Crossovers: 12-15 reps + 4 sets x 4-6 reps (rest-pause training)
- Cable Rope Curls: 12-15 + 4-6, 4-6, 4-6, 4-6 (rest pause)
- Rope Extensions: 12-15 + 4-6, 4-6, 4-6, 4-6 (rest pause)
- Lateral Raises: 1 set x 12-15 reps + 4 sets x 4-6 reps (rest-pause training)
Perform 2-3 warmup sets for the first two exercises of each workout. (With the exception of Monday’s workout; just perform warm up sets for the incline bench, nothing else.)
For reverse pyramid training, rest 2-3 minutes between sets. Drop the weight 10% each set. For pyramid training rest just 40 seconds between sets. Finally, for kino rep training rest 2 minutes between sets and take full rest (3 minutes) before going into your heavy set. For rest pause training rest just 15 seconds between sets.
For weighted chin-ups aim to add 2.5 lbs to each set, each week. For other movements, build up to the top end of the rep range on all sets, before increasing the weight the next week.
For pyramid training, only increase the weight when you can perform 12, 10, 8, 6 reps with just 30-40 seconds rest between sets. For rest pause training rest 15 seconds between sets. When it becomes easy, increase the weight.
** If you plateau on an exercise two weeks in a row. I recommend rotating exercises and performing a different variation. Ex: stall on incline db bench press then switch to barbell. Pull-ups switch to biceps curls. Flat barbell bench, switch to dumbbell bench. Overhead press, switch to dumbbell shoulder press seated.
The Philosophy Behind The Workout
At this point, you will have performed 6 months of very intense and heavy superhero physique training. It is at this point that I recommend increasing the repetitions and reducing the heavy work. This is why we will only be performing reverse pyramid training for the first two exercises of each workout. What’s more, our heavy set will be in the 6-8 rep range (instead of 4-6). This will give our nervous system and joints a little break from going very heavy. For the rest of the workout, we will be performing a mix of volume work. Rest pause and pyramid training. This phase is incredible at getting into shrink wrap condition. Your muscles will become fuller and more pumped. Combined with the strength and muscle you developed, you will be in insane shape.